When developing a skin care regimen you don’t always have to buy expensive products to properly care for your skin. You can simply adopt some healthy skin habits and you will be on your way to healthier skin.
You may already know some of these healthy skin habits but maybe you have been feeling too busy to keep up with them. We have all been there, you had a long day – you worked, fed the kids, helped them with their homework, got them ready for bed, and put yourself to bed. As you lay there before falling asleep and think to yourself – “oh no, I forgot to wash my face.” Sound familiar?
Let’s Cover Some Skin Care Basics
Remember these key things when it comes to skincare: cleansing, moisturizing and protecting. The following tips come from board-certified dermatologists.
- First wash your face with a gentle cleanser to remove dirt, oil, and debris. Make sure you do this before putting any other skin care products on and before you go to bed. This will help to prevent clogged pores and breakouts. Limit washing your face to twice a day and after sweating in order to avoid skin irritation.
- Apply your moisturizer to damp skin to truly reap its benefits. Your moisturizer will trap water in your skin – giving it a brighter and healthier look. Even if you have oily skin make sure you moisturize your face, body, and lips.
- Using products that offer sun protection helps to prevent wrinkles, age spots, and skin cancer. Always put on sunscreen when leaving home. Apply sunscreen to all areas of the skin not covered by clothes.
- Dual-function products, such as a moisturizer with sunscreen will save you a step. Select a broad-spectrum sunscreen that has an SPF of 30 or higher. When swimming or sweating, apply sunscreen every two hours.
- Read the labels on products. Select products that are aligned with your skin type. Also, look for products that state “non-comedogenic” or “won’t clog pores.”
- Petroleum jelly is an inexpensive product that is considered to be multipurpose. It moisturizes dry skin, is great for cuticles, and treats minor injuries.
Keeping it simple when it comes to skincare can be quite beneficial. In addition to these steps, also keep in mind some of the following tips.
- Stay out of tanning beds.
- Keep your hands off your face.
- Check your skin for any suspicious spots.
It is important to protect your skin from harmful UV rays. Wear large-brimmed hats, and sun-protective clothing, and always wear sunscreen when you go outdoors. Skin cancer is the most common cancer in the U.S. Did you know that skin cancer affects one in five Americans in their lifetime? If you see a suspicious spot on your skin, call your dermatologist.
Taking care of your health is the best gift you can give to yourself. OB-GYN Women’s Centre of Lakewood Ranch, is here to help you do that through every stage of your life.