When you decide you want to start a family, it can be frustrating if it doesn’t happen immediately! Luckily there are some things you and your partner can do when trying to get pregnant. Here are some tips:
- Understand when you’re ovulating and have sex regularly 5 days before and on the day of ovulation. In general, when trying to conceive it’s good to try to have sex regularly every other day.
- Don’t worry so much about positions. There is limited research to suggest that certain positions make it easier to conceive. However, it is important to think about gravity while you’re doing the deed. Skip any positions that make it more difficult for sperm to swim up into the cervix.
- Lay in bed for 10 to 15 minutes afterwards. While elevating your legs may or may not help, laying down and relaxing right after can help the sperm get up into the cervix.
- Have your partner avoid hot tubs, tight fitting clothing and foods that contain soy as these can affect sperm count.
- Maintain a normal weight. Being underweight and overweight can affect ovulation.
- Quit smoking both for your overall health, and because tobacco can also affect fertility and the health of a fetus.
- Limit alcohol and caffeine intake. An occasional glass of wine and cup of coffee should be fine, but overdoing it may increase fertility issues.
- De-stress. Trying to conceive can be stressful, however stress can affect fertility! Try yoga and meditation to relax. There is some research that suggests acupuncture can help with fertility as well.
- Focus on overall health and wellness. Incorporate healthy habits in your day-to-day life to help increase fertility.
Most couples will conceive naturally within one year, especially if under the age of 30. If you are over the age of 30 or know you or your partner may have fertility issues, you might want to consider meeting with a doctor. It can be a good idea to have a preconception checkup as well to discuss any vitamin deficiencies or if any medications you are taking may affect fertility.
If you are considering expanding your family, make sure you take the right steps. Meet with one of our caring team members at OB-GYN Women’s Centre of Lakewood Ranch. Our physicians will discuss your health history and any other medical conditions that could affect your pregnancy. They will guide you through the steps you should take before becoming pregnant, to ensure that you and your baby are healthy. Our medical practitioners will also answer any questions you may have about fertility or discuss any pregnancy concerns.