What Is a Hysterectomy?
A hysterectomy is a surgical procedure performed on a woman to remove all or part of her uterus. Depending on the reason for the procedure, a surgeon may also choose to remove other reproductive organs, such as the cervix and ovaries. Here’s more about hysterectomy procedures and the conditions they are used to treat.
6 Reasons to get a Hysterectomy
A hysterectomy is one of the common surgical procedures used to remove the uterus, especially when cancer is present. For conditions other than cancer, a hysterectomy is typically only performed when other treatments have not been successful. Here some of the conditions commonly treated with this procedure:
1. Cervical or uterine abnormalities that may lead to cancer or benign tumors that cause pain and bleeding
2. Abnormal vaginal bleeding that cannot be controlled by other methods
3. Severe endometriosis, which is when uterine tissue grows outside the uterus
4. Uterine prolapse, which occurs when the uterus slides from its normal position into the vaginal canal, due to weakened support muscles, leading to urinary incontinence and difficulty with bowel movements
5. Adenomyosis, which causes the inner lining of the uterus to break through the muscle wall of the uterus
6. Increased pelvic pain that is associated with the uterus
What To Expect After a Hysterectomy | Hysterectomy Recovery Time
Hysterectomies are common, low-risk surgeries that many women undergo. Because the procedure involves the removal of the uterus, it ends the menstruation cycle and a woman’s ability to become pregnant, if she has not already begun menopause. If the ovaries are removed along with the uterus, the procedure may trigger menopause, as the body will no longer be producing as much estrogen.
Most women do not experience any kind of complications after the surgery and are able to resume their lives normally within four to six weeks or even sooner. Your doctor will be able to tell you when it’s safe to go back to work and engage in any kind of vigorous activity.
Heal Sooner With a Minimally Invasive Hysterectomy
At OB-GYN Women’s Centre of Lakewood Ranch, we provide minimally invasive, or laparoscopic, hysterectomies, which allow surgeons to complete the procedure with only a small incision. Minimally invasive surgery allows women to heal faster and get back to their daily lives sooner. Give us a call today to learn more about this procedure and whether it is the right method for treating your condition.